Please check out the code below. I am having a hard time getting the
protortype selectors to be applied to this item. Hoping to avoid
having to use childNodes to parse this data.

                var parser = new DOMParser();
                var doc = parser.parseFromString(xml, "text/xml");

                console.log(doc);

                // Errors
                console.log($(doc).documentElement.select('status'));

I have seen this exact thing done with jQuery's find command.