Hi,

In general, the correct thing is what the docs[1] say it is.  Fade,
Appear, and most others are just functions, not constructor functions,
and so "new" is not correct.  Some other things, like Effect.Opacity
[2] (which confusingly use *exactly* the same capitalization -- don't
shoot the messenger), are constructor functions, and so you need to
use "new" with them.  When in doubt, check the docs.  I don't know
scripty well enough to know why some of them are constructors and some
aren't; perhaps there's a good reason...

If you use the methodized form instead:

    $('myNiftyFadingElement').fade();

...you don't have to worry about it.

[1] http://wiki.github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/effect-fade