But you are clicking the <a> tag when its done!!.... and the event for the
<a> is bubbling up the chain and trying to goto the href....

you need to change the code to do event delegation.

example your <tr> has the id of "foo" -> <tr id="foo">

$('foo').observe('click',function(event){

Event.stop(event); // stops the continuing of following the href of the  <a>
tag
});

If you want to stop it doing this you will have to find some way of passing
the other variables your script needs by using observe....

You could use a classname or you could hide a hidden form element inside the
first <td> below <tr id="foo"> and store the values in there
which would make the code something like.... (untested)

html...

$('foo').observe('click',function(event){
var variables=$(this).next('.hiddenElement');
var varz=variables.split(","); // check the syntax on this one!!
showPopup(this, varz[0], varz[1]);
Event.stop(event); // stops the continuing of following the href of the  <a>
tag
});

Its psuedo code but it will put you on the right track

Alex Mcauley
http://www.thevacancymarket.com