Hi,

>    $('#englisch').onfocus = function() {

$() accepts IDs, not selectors -- I'm guessing you're coming from
jQuery, which is different.

Also, to hook an event, you're better off using Element#observe[1]
rather than assigning to an attribute.

It's well worth taking an hour or two and reading the Prototype API[2]
from beginning to end. It really only takes an hour or two, and it
will save you a lot more time than that in the long run.

HTH,
www.crowdersoftware.com