I just "rediscovered" the bug described here --
http://www.nickstakenburg.com/tests/viewportoffset/ -- where
viewportOffset doesn't work properly in Opera 9.5+. I also found the
patch which can seemingly be manually applied in Prototype v1.6.0.3 by
changing line 2112 from

if (!Prototype.Browser.Opera || (element.tagName &&
(element.tagName.toUpperCase() == 'HTML'))) {

if (!Prototype.Browser.Opera || (element.tagName &&
(element.tagName.toUpperCase() == 'BODY'))) {

My question is this: The bug and patch were first reported 2 years
ago. Why hasn't it been applied to any Prototype revisions since that
time? Does this patch have any known side effects? I don't want to
alter my copy of Prototype if doing so will cause some unwanted
behavior down the line.

Thanks,

~Jon