And yet, it is possible because that is what I'm experiencing.  Using
Firebug, I reapplied the "new Form.Spinner()" in the console and the
items are positioned properly.  The element that the form is being
loaded into is a popup box (fancy tooltip really), so that may have
something to do with it.  I'm evaluating Prototip for this project, if
there is something that it is doing that messes with these types of
positionings it's a no go for that product.