hm, I have similar problem (in my case I was adding / removing a lot
of inputs dynamically). And using Form.Observer / Element.observe
would have been an small maintenance hell. So I have been using 2
custom events - focus:in / focus:out, for bubbling focus/blur.

http://gist.github.com/162593

You could you same approach to emulate onchange, or event use
something like this, for inputs ( I'm using my Event.delegate
http://gist.github.com/66568 )

document.delegate('input[type=text]', 'focus:in', function(){
    this.store('value', this.getValue());
});

document.delegate('input[type=text]', 'focus:out', function(){
   if (this.retrieve('value') != this.getValue()) this.fire
('value:changed', { previousValue: this.retrieve('value'); });
});

document.delegate('input[type=text]', 'value:changed', function(){
   // ... some cool code here ....
});

Hope this will be helpfull