One inconsistency that has caught me before between Internet
Explorer's .innerHTML and other browsers .innerHTML is how markup is
formatted:

So if I have a div with a paragraph with the class of "foo" and the
text "moof" inside the P, and I call .innerHTML on the div, I will
get:

Internet Explorer:
<P class=foo>moof</P>

Firefox 3.5 (for example):

Note the capitalization and lack of quoted attributes in the internet
explorer innerHTML -- good to keep in mind! IE will add quotes to
attributes if the attribute contains spaces, though.

Best,
Alex