I tried to defer it, but that didn't work. It said "this.element is
null" in Control.js.  I'm guessing because the function wasn't
deferred long enough to wait for the HTML to be inserted.

new Ajax.Updater(
    'placeToInsertResponse',
    'ajaxScript.php', {
        parameters: $('formId').serialize(true),
        onComplete: function() {
            this.initInPlaceEditor();
        }.bind(this).defer()
    }