Thanks, but that didn't work.

My autocompleter creation looks like this (in the window.onload
function):

new Ajax.Autocompleter('myField', 'menu', 'myServlet'',
 {
    paramName: 'myParam',
    parameters: 'type='+1234+'&id='+myId
});

The value of myId when the autocompleter is created is what's passed
to the servlet, even if I later change that value.  Likewise if I make
the parameter a function call, e.g.:

parameters: 'type='+1234+'&id='+getMyId()

then id is set to whatever getMyId() returns at the time the onload
function is called.

What I want to do is set id to be equal to the value returned from
another Autocompleter on the page (which enables this Autocompleter in
its afterUpdateElement callback), but it appears the parameters are
set when the Autocompleter is created.  It seems like what I want to
do (a succession of Autocompleters allowing a user to drill down
through a hierarchy) should be possible but I'm stuck.

Thanks,

Paul