Hi,

If you assign a string to event.returnValue, that will work on Firefox
and IE:

    Event.observe(window, 'beforeunload', function(event) {
        event.returnValue = "Really leave?";
    });

But it doesn't work on Chrome, Safari, or Opera, so it's of fairly
limited use. :-)

I'm not aware of a cross-platform way of doing this except with a DOM0
handler (assigning directly to the property, happily bludgeoning
anyone else's handler there), which seems...wrong.
www.crowdersoftware.com