Hi,

> Is there any plans in the future to improve on prototype's speed?

Yes.  The core team are working on integrating the Sizzle selector
engine[1] (which is what the latest version of jQuery uses).  (This is
more of a challenge than it sounds; switching selector engines touches
a lot of things besides just the $$ and Element#select methods.)  I
*think* that's slated for the next release, but don't quote me.

[1] http://sizzlejs.com/

HTH,
www / crowder software / com