Minor update:

TJ is correct. This feature is the same thing in all browswers - the
zoom"in/out" function of every browser.
So, it turns out it can be done 2 ways:

a. cntrl key and "+" or "-"
b. cntrl key and "mouse scroll wheel up or down"

Originally I asked about making a synthetic event for (b) but I think
it might be easier to generate a synthetic event for (a), it's just
key strokes.
Still, if there's a accessible property of the window object that's
getting changed by this - that's probably even easier to work with.