What I am trying to accomplish is a clock that updates every five
seconds. Before it updates I want it to fade out, and after it updates
I want it to fade back in. This is what I have right now:

<head>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="prototype.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="scriptaculous.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
        function update_clock() {
            Effect.Fade('clock');
            new Ajax.Updater('clock', 'clock.py');
            Effect.Appear('clock');
        }

        new Ajax.Updater('clock', 'clock.py');
        new PeriodicalExecuter(update_clock, 5);
    </script>
</head>

What happens when I open that page is odd. The clock updates, fades
in, then fades out until the next update. What am I doing wrong?