Jim:

Thanks for the input but swicthing away is not an option.

I have tested my theory and some of the functions work with parent but some
do not. For example

alert(parent.$('foo').value); // works

but

parent.$$('.someClass').each(function(element){
// do somehting
} ); // does not work

I came up with a work around.. i just loaded a light version of jquery 1.2
into the iframe and used that - it came in around 20k so its not that bigger
deal tbh.

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Alex Mcauley