The removed element?

Just because an element has been detached from the visible DOM doesn't
mean that the reference can be maintained elsewhere.  It would be no
edge case to detach and re-attach a particular element, so to think
that an element should be trashed just because it has no parent node
is a bad perception.

Prototype has accomodations for IE's poor garbage collection tactics
and has a cleanup method for this that gets handled transparently to
you.

--

http://positionabsolute.net