@Radoslav,

I took some time today to look through your patch. It would make this
function very easy to implement.
It would take the form of a "keypress" event with ctrlkey=true and the
necessary keyCode and charCode values.

What is it's status? Will it make it into a future version of
Prototype anytime soon?
If not, what is the recommended way of using a patch like this? (I
assume including it as a seperate js file on each page override the
original function definition of "fire", but that's not completely
clear.)

It took a little time for me to realize but I think it's the best way
to go for a cross-browser compatible ZOOM solution.
Thanks for the reply.