Its a common problem - one mostly associated with treeviews and databases as
the algorhythms needed to make a dynamic tree without alot of server
resources are complex..

If you need the URL to change then you -MUST- change the href as javascript
can only change the fragment identifier in the URL
(http://www.google.com#some_anchor) <---- the #some_anchor part can only be
changed.

In the php you can pretty much do anything you want with the multi array and
display wht you need to....

I would make it a heirachal array something like...

$array('parent_node'=>'1','child_nodes'=>
array('node_1'=>'1',
        'node_2'=>'2',
        'node_3'=>'3'
));

then you can get to it easily for example with get

$nodes=$array['parent_node'][$_GET['node_id']['child_nodes']

foreach($nodes as$key => $val) {
    echo('Title = '. $key .'Href ='.$val);

}

(psudeo and untested but its the concept that matters)...

I am not sure what kind of array setup you are using but that is how i would
tackle it .... where $array is a static variable included in a config file
for easy use on any page - simply adding values when you need a new Url
Alex Mcauley
http://www.thevacancymarket.com