Event delegation is indeed a wonderful thing. One thing to watch out
for here though is that input blur, focus and form submit don't bubble
(don't know if it's on all browsers, but certainly on some). There's
NWEvents (http://javascript.nwbox.com/NWEvents/) that handles those
special cases for you. We've used it to create a totally transparent
(no initialization necessary) form validator. No need to observe
forms, works with newly inserted ajax forms, no need to stop observing
and only one observer, no matter how many form elements you have on
the page, simply nothing to worry about anymore.

On 30 Oct 2009, at 10:39, david wrote:

> you should use event delmeguation so that, you first only set one
> observer, and then you can freely modify the DOM and still access to
> your event.
>
> --
> david
>
> On 27 oct, 09:55, "T.J. Crowder" <t...@crowdersoftware.com> wrote:
>> Hi Simon,
>>>
>> Yes, otherwise a variety of things do indeed sit around in memory.
>>
>> On Oct 26, 7:07 pm, Simon <simon.hagst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If I observe events on elements that I later replace with new
>>> elements
>>> with innerHTML, do I need to stopObserving those events before
>>> replacing the elements. I guess I'm mostly concerned about memory
>>> leakage. E.g:

>>>         <input type="text" name="input1" /> ... <input type="text"
>>> name="input100" />
>>
>>> $('inputs').select('input').invoke('observe', 'blur', function()
>>> {...});
>>
>>> $('inputs').innerHTML = '<input type="text" name="input101" /> ...
>>> <input type="text" name="input200" />';
>>
>>> $('inputs').select('input').invoke('observe', 'blur', function()

Best regards

Peter De Berdt