I never put in a name attribute, that could be part of the problem.

I solved it by putting it in a function that's called by onclick, and it
worked. I was able to reference it the old fashioned JS way, and prototype's
way.

Now all I want to know is how to load and parse a JSON file using the same
method.

Thanks!

Eugene