I am bumfuzzled by what "should" be a simple thing. I'm using
prototype 1.6.1. The server side is working. The chkCardNum function
gets called...but  nothing fires.

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
function chkCardNum() {
        var notice = $('notice');
        notice.update('Checking card number');
        new Ajax.Request('https://www.somesite/cgi-bin/ajax.cgi',
         {
          method: 'post',
          onSuccess: function(transport) {
                if (transport.responseText.match(/OK/)) {
                        notice.update('Card number passes').setStyle({
background:
'#dfd' });
                }
                else if (transport.responseText.match(/N0/)) {
                        notice.update('The card number provided seems to have an
error.').setStyle({ background: '#fdd' });
                }
          },
          onFailure: function(transport) {
                  alert('Something went wrong');
//-->
</script>

</head>
<form name="testform" method="post" action="#">
type="text" size="20" value="" class="monospc" onchange="chkCardNum
()"></p>
</form>

On the server end, this is all I'm using for this test.
#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print 'OK';

Why won't it work?