Hi,

> If I send a JSON { 'str': '<p>This is a line with \n linefeed</p>' } I do
> get...

You haven't mentioned what language you're using to write out the
string (PHP, Python, JavaScript, C#, Java, etc.), but my suspicion is
that you're accidentally outputting an actual newline (character x0A)
rather than the valid JSON[1] syntax for it (\n), because in most
languages, the backslash is an escape character and to actually output
"\n" you'd have to type "\\n".

For instance (pure JavaScript example):

    var s;

    s = '{"foo": "This is a \n test."}';
    alert(s.isJSON()); // alerts false, the string is not valid JSON

    s = '{"foo": "This is a \\n test."}';
    alert(s.isJSON()); // alerts true, the string is valid JSON

The JSON going to the browser (which you can probably inspect with
Firebug or the MS Dev Toolbar or whatever you're using) must contain
an actual backslash followed by the letter n, *not* a literal newline.

[1] http://json.org

HTH,
Independent Software Consultant
tj / crowder software / com