document.observe('dom:loaded', function() {
    Event.observe(window, 'beforeunload', function(evt) {
      if( !( $F('verifiedURL') ) ) {
        var r= confirm("You have not tested your medallion, a step
required for activation. You can return later by clicking the Manage
button for this site.\n\nDo you still wish to leave?");
        if(!r) {
          Event.stop(evt);

Having two problems with this code:

1. Ignores the value of $F('verifiedURL') and never shows the confirm
dialog

2. If I comment out the if($F('verifiedURL')) test on Firefox a
Confirm dialog is shown twice if I click Cancel, once with my message
and then again with a generic message (but only once if click OK)--in
both cases the browser takes the right action in the end.

On Safari the dialog is only shown once but unloads the page no matter
which answer is clicked.

Generic message shown is:

"Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

Press OK to continue, or Cancel to stay on the current page."

Using the Prototype lib shipped with Rails 2.3.4 on OS X 10.5.x.

Thanks,
Bill