Before investing time and energy into implementing your auto complete
addon I would like to see a working demo of it. The links I have found
to your demo (http://demo.script.aculo.us/ajax/autocompleter) are all
dead links. It appears that the demo sub-sub domain is not valid.
Searching this group shows there has been discussion of this issue but
no resolution. Comments like "dead links should have been removed"
smack of someone who has not actually looked at the page which in fact
has dead links : http://wiki.github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/demos