Hi Bill,

If I'm reading you right, you want to pass a callback into another
function. Functions are first-class objects in JavaScript so there's
nothing special you need to do (and certainly no need for eval).

Say you have a logging function:

    function logMsg(msg) {
        alert(msg); // Obviously not realistic
    }

That function is just an object with a name ("logMsg"). The name is
valid throughout its containing scope. (If the declaration above is at
page level, its containing scope is the page; if it's within another
function, its containing scope is that function.)

Now suppose you want to pass that logging function into another
function to be used for logging messages. The other function might
look like this:

    function doSomething(logger) {
        logger("This is message one.");
        logger("This is message two.");
        // ...
    }

To do that, just pass it into the function using its name (no quotes):

    doSomething(logMsg);

Note that we're just *referring* to the `logMsg` function, not calling
it. You don't want to do this:

    doSomething(logMsg()); // <= WRONG

...because (as you know) that would _call_ `logMsg` and then pass its
return value into `doSomething`.

The concept of functions as proper objects is very powerful. We can
pass functions into other functions (as above). We can assign
functions to variables:

    var f = logMsg;
    f("Log this message");

We can attach functions to objects as properties:

    var x = {};        // Create an empty object
    x.logger = logMsg; // Create a property `logger` referencing our
function
    x.logger("Foo");   // Use it to log "Foo"

You'll recognise some of this from the Prototype API. For instance,
Enumerable#each accepts a function as a parameter and calls it for
each item in the enumerable. As Alex mentioned, the Ajax stuff accepts
an options object that has properties with certain defined names
("onSuccess", "onComplete"); the Ajax stuff expects the values of
those properties to be a function to call.

When passing functions around, there's something you have to remember:
The *context* (the `this` value) within a function call is set by how
you *call* the function, not (as it is in several other languages) by
how/where you define the function. If `this` is going to be
significant in terms of your callback, I'd suggest reading these posts
[1] from my (pathetic little) blog.

[1] http://blog.niftysnippets.org/2008/03/mythical-methods.html
[2] http://blog.niftysnippets.org/2008/04/you-must-remember-this.html

HTH,