Hi,

Your best bet for something like that is to have a build process that
combines the scripts (and then minifies them), and then include the
resulting single script with just one script tag. Reading lots of
individual script files will be quite slow, because browsers typically
will load only one or two at a time, and it takes very perceptible
time to individually retrieve even three or four scripts in addition
to the other resources on the page. Latency kills.

I don't currently have a good recommendation of a build tool to use
for this, but if it's just combining files and then running them
through jsmin or something similar, any of the usual suspects (rake,
ant, etc.) should be able to manage it.

Google's just released their Closure Compiler, which handles doing
this (including dependency management, although it's a bit of a pain
to configure dependencies at present based on comments in the
discussion group) as well as handling removing unused code and various
other optimisations. It's still very new:
http://code.google.com/closure/compiler/

HTH,
Independent Software Consultant
tj / crowder software / com