I've got an AJAX page which dynamically refreshes... this is what I
use... seems to work well enough for our purposes...
(NB - I'm using prototype for most of my stuff)

        var fin = document.forms["name of form"];  // replace "name of form"
with the id of your form
        var SetCheckBox = function ( w, s0 ){
            // 'w' is the id of the checkbox;
            // 's0' is the state - i.e., 1==checked; 0==not checked
                fin[ w ].checked = s0;
        }

        SetCheckBox( 'item_notchecked', "0" );
        SetCheckBox( 'item_checked', "1" );