I am trying to do something simple like:

function hide_it(el){
 var my_el=$(el);
 my_el.hide();//<---error:Object doesn't support this property or
method
 Element.hide(el);<--- this works fine
}

It works fine in FF and Chrome, even in IE8, but IE7 sais "Object
doesn't support this property or method". I stepped into the function
with the debugger and it looks like the $ function finds the element
correctly by id but the Element.extend() function thinks that it is
already extended so it just proudly returns it.
For some reason in the Element.extend function, the
element._extendedByPrototype is an object and element.nodeType = 1 so
the condition in the first if is true because of any of these 2
conditions.

Please look into this matter.

Thank you.