This is an important thing to work on. If I know I will be using
onError on the client side, I make sure that my Ajax endpoint on the
server will return a "real" error header using PHP's header() method.

You can also get very fancy with different error header codes, too,
throwing a distinctly different error depending on the nature of that
error, and then handling it in the Ajax callback using one of the
onNNN methods instead of onError (which covers any error between 400
and 5NN, IIRC).

Walter