You could use a closure to ensure you're dealing with the right
element.

$$('.my_table td').each(function(cell){

   cell.observe('mouseover', listener.curry(cell));

});

function listener(cell, evt){
       if(evt.element() != cell)
             return false;
 }

Are you trying to have a clean way to avoid flickering?

--

http://positionabsolute.net