Hi,
You can put out try/catch bloc by using this code :
(prototype.js, line 1313)

var Ajax = {
                getTransport:false,
                activeRequestCount: 0,
                FixeXHR:function() {
                        var xhr1 = function() { return new XMLHttpRequest(); };
                        var xhr2 = function() { return new ActiveXObject
('Msxml2.XMLHTTP'); };
                        var xhr3 = function() { return new ActiveXObject
('Microsoft.XMLHTTP'); };
                        try { if (xhr3()) this.getTransport=xhr3; return;
}catch(e) {};
                        try { if (xhr2()) this.getTransport=xhr2; return;
}catch(e) {};
                        try { if (xhr1()) this.getTransport=xhr1; return;
}catch(e) {};
                }
};
Ajax.FixeXHR();
Ajax.FixeXHR=null;

More elegant!? I update my prototype.js file,
and to use with a lot of requester, and they working fine.
This is just a little modification.

Thanks,
AS.