Hi,

> Is it because it is not accessing the javascript files correctly

Yes. The prototype.js and scriptaculous.js files returned by your
server[1][2] are HTML files; they look like you've gone to the
script.aculo.us github account, viewed the source (with markup and
surrounding github stuff) and done a "save as" or something. You need
to download[3][4] and (in the case of script.aculo.us) unpack them
correctly. There's a "quick start" on the script.aculo.us wiki[5].
Note that although I've linked the download page for prototype below,
you can use the one supplied with script.aculo.us in its `lib`
subdirectory. Scripty is still supplying 1.6.0.3, though, and 1.6.1
has been out a while now. You'd have to ask someone more knowledgeable
about scripty than myself if scripty 1.8.3 is thoroughly tested with
1.6.1; I'd guess not, or the package would have been updated by now.

[1] http://caritos.github.com/javascripts/prototype.js
[2] http://caritos.github.com/javascripts/scriptaculous.js
[3] http://prototypejs.org/download
[4] http://script.aculo.us/downloads