hello buda,

as T.J. Crowder mentioned above, firing an event means that the event is
going to fire *up* the DOM.
so it's only natural that firing an event in the <form> level won't get
captured by one of its children.

so for the sake of this discussion, what you really need is an event
dispatcher/register mechanism
and for that, i advise you to take a look at
http://positionabsolute.net/blog/2007/06/event-dispatcher.php

cheers

--
mona