It has been a while since I encountered this problem, so I don't have
a current example to show. I know I was using the latest version of
prototype & script.aculo.us at the time (Fall 2009).

I was developing a website with prototype & script.aculo.us and I
added an initialize function inside the body element's onload event,
e.g.: <body onload="initialize()">. As soon as I added that, the drag
and drop functionality I added previously through prototype &
script.aculo.us stopped working. I don't recall there being any error
messages in my browser's error console (Firefox 1.6). I changed the
onload event to other functions, but the result was the same. Am I
overloading something within prototype & script.aculo.us by adding
onload=""?