Hi~

I can't imagine it either, but it happens. T.T

Try follow steps.

1. Open a web page that including Prototype 1.6.1 on IE8 on Windows
XP.
2. Right click on your mouse and click "Properties".
3. Isn't your browser killed?

I don't know the reason but when I remove the Prototype 1.6.1, It
doesn't happen anymore.
Even it happens on Prototype API page. (http://api.prototypejs.org)

Curiously, 1.6.0 is OK.