Hi,

The page you refernced is about adding external script files, which is
why it worked when you did that and not when you tried to do it as an
inline block.

Why are you trying to use a script tag for this?  How 'bout:

function generateAutoCompleter()
{
    new Ajax.Autocompleter(
        "oop_description_" + numOopRows,
        "oop_autocomplete_choices_" + numOopRows,
        "<cfoutput>#CGI.SCRIPT_NAME#</cfoutput>?
event=er.form.item.descriptions",
        {
            minChars:  "3",
            paramName: "description_parameter"