SOLVED

I had found an example of using a callback

http://groups.google.com/group/prototype-scriptaculous/browse_thread/thread/38d7db4e45341dfb/9c5cfb6ce6cfb860?lnk=gst&q=callbacks#9c5cfb6ce6cfb860

onEnd : function() {
alert('i ended');
}

But didn't know where to put it.

Then when I looked at the new Control.ColorPicker line:

 new Control.ColorPicker("colorfield4",
       {IMAGE_BASE : "/images/", "swatch" : "colorbox4"}
      );

 I realized I could include it in the options hash - I had just never
done that sort of thing before, so as well getting a good color picker
for my project, I have now learned something new.

I put this in the hash

onClose : function() {alert('i changed it to '+ this.field.value);}

and it worked!