I am seeing a similar problem with $() notation not working in IE6,
but working on IE7 and IE8. This is for prototype 1.6.1 specifically.
Reverting back to 1.6.0 fixes the problem, but then I have other IE8
problems with 1.6.0. Has any information on this issue or similar to
it changed?

Sincere thanks ahead of time. This is causing me much time and stress
trying to debug (on IE6 specifically ;)

Matthew