There is such an event[1], but it's not very evenly applied across browsers. I suppose you could as an alternative fire a custom event and then listen for that, but "green"'s example is how I've always done things.

Walter

1. DOMCharacterDataModified, found here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Events/events.html