@Walter: I don't think Hash has a length member.

@Eric: That will replace *that reference* to the Hash, but any other
references will still refer to the old object. So, for instance, if
the reference has been passed into a function, that will update that
function's reference to point to a new hash, but the caller will still
refer to the old has and its contents.

@Chrysanthe: I'm pretty sure Hash doesn't have any built-in feature
for this. You could add one:

    Class.addMethods(Hash, (function() {
        function clear() {
            this._object = {};
        }
        return {
            clear: clear
        };
    })());

(That's off-the-cuff, you'll want to double-check it.) Naturally that
means you need to check that that's still compatible each time you
update your copy of Prototype (even dot revs), since it acts on
internals.

FWIW,
Independent Software Consultant
tj / crowder software / com