If you're looking for a real morph effect, where one image slowly
flows and changes into the next, there's no way scriptaculous or
prototype could do that. Generally speaking, as I understand it, if
you couldn't do the animation yourself by changing css/style tags and
reloading over and over, scripty can't do it either.

You'd have to use an anigif or flash or something.

The opacity idea posted above seems like the best bet if you want to
stick with JS based solutions.