LOL, just commented on your StackOverflow version of this question.[1]

Same comment here: Would you quote the URL you use for the image
(leave out the server name if you like) and the headers sent by the
server when the image actually does get downloaded? Perhaps there's an
issue with the expiry headers or something.

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2824565/new-image-makes-http-request-even-though-cached
Independent Software Consultant
tj / crowder software / com