> You can just use NWEvents and NWMatcher to define the event handler
> and then use Prototype for the actual event handling.

...and in Prototype 1.7, you can swap NWMatcher in as the selection
engine as well. One of the cool things about Prototype 1.7[1] is that
you can use it with any of several selection engines -- its new
default Sizzle engine, NWMatcher, the legacy Prototype engine, etc.

[1]
http://prototypejs.org/2010/4/5/prototype-1-7-rc1-sizzle-layout-dimensions-api-event-delegation-and-more

-- T.J.