Is there a way to change the :active state of elements through
Prototype?

Here's the basic gist of what I am doing it:
I have a navigation menu, made up of <li> tags with <a> links inside.
When the user hovers over one of the <li> tags, a different background
is applied to the <li>.  When the user clicks on one of the <li> tags,
a different background is applied to the <li>.

It is possible for a user to click one of the <li> tags, then decide
he doesn't want to go to that link, and then drags off the <li> before
releasing the mouse.  This leaves the <li> in its active state (with
the active background applied).  I wanted to use Prototype so that
when a user moves his mouse over one of the other <li> tags, it will
remove the active state from the one clicked.

Is that possible?