Hi,

> The issue is as soon as I add a <script> tag referring to the
> prototype.js file, my countdown timer stops working.

You'll have to give us more information to work with, "stops working"
is pretty vague.

There could be any number of reasons for this. Two high-probability
ones that come to mind:

* You're also using jQuery or similiar, which can create a conflict as
both jQuery and Prototype want to use the `$` symbol. jQuery provides
a no-conflict mode, though, to work around this:
http://api.jquery.com/jQuery.noConflict/

* The count-down code is using `for..in` to loop through an array. If
so, it's broken and needs to be fixed, more here:
http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com/prototype:tip-looping-through-arrays

HTH,
Independent Software Consultant
tj / crowder software / com