FWIW, status = 0 is mentioned on the "bulletproof ajax requests" page
on the unofficial wiki:

http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com/prototype:how-to-bulletproof-ajax-requests

The contributor who added it said that it happens when the server
connection fails entirely (as opposed to a connection that works but
returns a 5xx error), perhaps beacuse the server is overloaded.

That suggests you should look at your Apache config and logs.
Independent Software Consultant
tj / crowder software / com
www.crowdersoftware.com