My approach would be something like:

$$('.className').invoke('observe','mouseover', function(e)
{ alert('mouseover element with id: ' + e.findElement().id); });

$$('.className').observe() is not correct, because observe() is
expecting a single element, whereas invoke() takes the entire array of
elements and applies the observer to each element.

e.findElement() will return the element the event was fired from, so
you can do anything you want to the element w/o it necessarily having
an id