Looking at the documentation[1], I don't see any callback event that happens if there are no results, only one that adds the chosen list element to the list, or one that fires automatically after that update happens. But I don't believe that either one happens in case of no matches found.

Walter

1. http://wiki.github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/ajax-autocompleter