Hi,

> I'm missing something here.

One of us is. :-)

The OP's problem was that using for..in on an array was looping
through the property names and he expected it to loop through array
indexes. That's the common misconception I was talking about. People
think for..in loops through array indexes, which is just plain wrong.
While it *does* that (because array indexes are property names), it's
not limited to doing that; it loops through all enumerable properties
(as you know). All will appear to be well in a vanilla environment
with a straightforward array instance, but not when either the
Array.prototype or the array instance has had other enumerable
properties added to it.

I think if you read the wiki article[1] I pointed him at (I wrote it,
a couple of years back) you'll see what I'm saying more clearly --
though since you clearly understand what for..in does, it may not be a
worthwhile way to spend your time. The article is for people like the
OP who aren't that familiar with JavaScript's arrays and the for..in
construct.

[1] http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com/prototype:tip-looping-through-arrays

-- T.J.