Hi,

I'm not surprised to hear that. The `alert` function brings the
JavaScript interpreter to a screeching halt and blocks darned near
everything. But it's that "darned near" that introduces uncertainty:
Does whatever causes the dom:loaded event on that browser queue,
waiting for the interpreter? Or not?

E.g., I think what's happening is that you're hooking the dom:loaded
event *after* it's already fired, because you didn't hook it until
after the `alert` returned, and the `alert` waits for the user in a
very non-JavaScript way.

Fundamentally, the browser probably _should_ queue the event, but the
event queue is not the same as the execution queue on all browsers and
I wouldn't rely on it. In any case, it's trivial to reverse things and
get reliable behavior:

* * * *
document.observe("dom:loaded", function() {
    // Some code
    alert("bar");
});
alert("foo");
* * * *

You still get the "foo" alert right away, it's just that you've hooked
the dom:loaded event beforehand and so presumably won't miss the event
when it occurs.

FWIW,
Independent Software Consultant
tj / crowder software / com